From Sumplace New: The Long-Term Travel Podcast
Benefits of a travel mindset vs. vacation mindset (E38)
November 16, 2020
Jon Sumple & Karen Bernhardt-Sumple
Despite the pandemic limiting our full-speed ahead travel mindset, we're grateful we can move around (a little) and experience new things. One thing we've learned over the past two-plus years is how rewarding long-term travel is. In so many ways. We discuss a few of these in E38 of From Sumplace New:
- No end date or feeling of finality.
- No pressure to have an amazing time in a concentrated period.
- Revisit coffee shops and restaurants and get to know the staff — and even forge friendships.
- Experience more of the day to day rhythms of the local community — more immersive and integrative.
- Concentrate on locations/surroundings/opportunities that speak to you — go to a place or region, see how you feel and what you like, and go from there.
- Create a sense of familiarity in an area, which is rewarding and fosters connection.
- People/locals treat you a little differently when you’re there as a “slow traveler” vs passing through as a tourist — demonstrates commitment and respect about where you are and why.
- Time! You gain ongoing time to explore an area, be a part of it, grow from it.
Follow us on Instagram: @SumplaceNew
Follow us on Facebook: @SumplaceNew
Intro/Outro Music: The World at Large by Daniel O'Connor
Intro VO: Laura Welsh